From Harbs <harbs.li...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: "Fork Me" on GitHub (was Re: [DISCUSS] Graduate Apache ShardingSphere (incubating) as a TLP)
Date Fri, 27 Mar 2020 09:26:57 GMT
Thanks for the link to the board@ list. I agree with you that it’s a shame the discussion
was on a private list.

Yes. It seems that the concern of some is that link is an “ad”.

It seems to me that the primary purpose for the link is to make contributing easier and the
“advertisement” is secondary.

I don’t really see the concern for using unreleased code any more than having a link to
the Apache repos.

The fact is that GitHub has become the defacto place where much of the development is being
done on many projects.

The compromise which seemed acceptable to most in that thread seems to be to remove “GitHub”
from the link.

I also wonder if opinions might have changed in the 5 years since that discussion. In that
time, GitHub has only become more ubiquitous and more adopted by many Apache projects.

Thanks,
Harbs

> On Mar 27, 2020, at 12:03 PM, Justin Mclean <justin@classsoftware.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> If you can, I suggest people read this board@ thread [1]. It a pity that conversation
didn’t happen in more public space. Also note the board action item that resulted from this
and that the “Fork me on Github” ribbon is no longer on the front page of the project
in question.

> Also consider the language choice of “Fork me on GitHub” may cause some confusion
to new user re the ownership of a project and make it unclear if this is an ASF project or
a GitHub one when displayed prominently on the front page.