From Harbs <harbs.li...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: "Fork Me" on GitHub (was Re: [DISCUSS] Graduate Apache ShardingSphere (incubating) as a TLP)
Date Sun, 29 Mar 2020 08:16:08 GMT
FWIW, this is the only thing I found on (private) press@ https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/439a22a02f6200a106e4d209f401d98f9223c72df08ba8ea1d07f7ba%401418715959%40%3Cpress.apache.org%3E
<https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/439a22a02f6200a106e4d209f401d98f9223c72df08ba8ea1d07f7ba@1418715959@%3Cpress.apache.org%3E>

As far as I can tell, the action item on this stalled and the whole topic was never completely
resolved.

Thanks,
Harbs

> On Mar 29, 2020, at 10:16 AM, Harbs <harbs.lists@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> The discussion on trademarks is about general sponsor links. As far as I can tell, it
has nothing to do with “Fork Me”.

> I read the thread on board@ and I looked at the notes in the agenda from 2014_12_17.
>
> I don’t see a consensus that Fork Me is not allowed. I do see a consensus that it’s
not preferred. I do see that Wicket removed it. Other projects still have it. I do see a preference
to have an alternate ribbon which doesn’t have the words “GitHub”, but has the same
behavior. I’m not sure if any such ribbon was ever created. Justin, you mention something
Sally mocked up, but I couldn’t find that. Do you have a link?

> If an alternate ribbon was created, that should be recommended instead of making a blanket
statement that “Fork Me” is not allowed.

> My $0.02,
> Harbs
>
>> On Mar 29, 2020, at 8:44 AM, Julian Hyde <jhyde@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> Ah, thanks Justin. Sorry I didn't notice the board action and the
>> recommendation from trademarks.
>>
>> I don't think there's much left to discuss. The board and trademarks
>> have made their policy clear. We (the incubator) should make podlings
>> aware of the policy.
>>
>> I think "fork me on GitHub" is less contentious than it was 5 years
>> ago, so whatever was decided then will suffice for now.
>>
>> Julian
>>
>> On Sat, Mar 28, 2020 at 3:38 PM Justin Mclean <justin@classsoftware.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,

the board to not say “fork me on GitHub”.

>>> Did you note the board action and discussion in the board reports? Sally made
some alternative mock up to use (2015-01-21) I’m not sure what happened to those. There
was suggestion of a blog item on it, but I couldn’t find it.