From Seth Frey <sf...@ucdavis.edu>
Subject Re: Inquiry about researching ASF Incubator
Date Fri, 24 Jan 2020 09:39:00 GMT
Justin,

It turns out the text of the letter is minimal: we've been advised to keep it as spare and
cookie cutter as possible, with any specifics better placed in the proposal than the latter.

"""
If the proposal submitted by Dr. Filkov entitled "GCR: Collaborative Research: Jumpstarting
Successful OSS Projects With Evidence Based Rules and Structures" is selected for funding
by NSF, it is my intent to collaborate and/or commit resources as detailed in the Project
Description or the Facilities, Equipment and Other Resources section of the proposal.

Sincerely,
XXX
"""

And here is the corresponding blurb on ASF's role that we'll be putting in the main proposal
text (point #2):
"""
To extend our relevance, reach, and impact, we will leverage in this project data, knowhow,
and network connections from the academic and OSS communities relevant to this proposal. In
particular, (1) the personnel of NSF RCN grant #1917908, on the subject of coordinating efforts
for rules/policy extractions from online sources, has agreed on supporting us in our efforts
of automating rule/policy extractions, with their knowhow and data; (2) leaders from the ASF
Incubator have agreed to support us through introductions and networking with their member
projects as we pursue interviews and surveys with them; (3) members from the OSGeo foundation
have agreed to support us through introductions and networking with their member projects
as we pursue interviews and surveys with them; (4) personnel from the NSF Medium grant #1901311,
on the subject of understanding sustainability in OSS projects, has agreed on mutual data
exchange with our project. Submitted with this proposal are letters of collaboration from
each of them.
"""
By the same advice that informed the choice to go boilerplate, you'll see that we now do commit
you to providing some manner of concrete assistance.  Let us know if you have a better idea
for that phrasing.

I don't know what you prefer for word processing and/or letterhead.  If the most straightforward
route for you is to copy and paste the text of the letter into a more formal format, go ahead.
If you'd like me to resend it in the form of a collaborative doc or file via some preferred
platform format (I imagine that .docx and Google Docs are formally or culturally discouraged),
let me know, so I can minimize the inconvenience to you for supporting us.

best,
seth.

Seth Frey
Assistant Professor
Communication, UC Davis
https://enfascination.com/research

recently:
http://doi.org/gdzpj6 — Poker experts encrypt their reasoning with their cards
http://doi.org/cwbz — The dynamics of emotional influence (and self-influence)
http://doi.org/cwb2 — Flocking in what-you-think-I-think-you-think reasoning

> On Jan 22, 2020, at 16:06, Justin Mclean <justin@classsoftware.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
>>> I as the V.P Incubator would be willing to sign that.
>>
>> I've drafted a note.  I'm still learning the culture: shall I send it to the list
or directly to you?

> The list generally drops attachments, just send it directly to me, or better still send
an email to the list with a link to download it.