From "Juan Pan" <panj...@apache.org>
Subject Re:Looking for community development stories
Date Wed, 22 Jan 2020 04:48:34 GMT
Hi Craig,

As the PPMC of Apache ShardingSphere (Incubating), i would like to share our experience of
community growing. Hope it could provide some help to you. :-)

## The data of our community growing
As i summarized in our dev@list [1], we made a great improvement of community growing last
year. More contributors, committers and PPMC joined us during 2019. Many thanks to Craig,
Willem Jiang, Gosling, Justin and Sheng Wu.

## How to make community grow up

### Guideline
When we entered into incubator at the beginning, actually we did not have a better understanding
of Apache way, and could not put community first. A guideline or docs are very important to
tell us how to do to, or what we should do to walk on the road of Apache way. And [2] is a
good manual, we thought.

### Performance
1. Be open and welcome anyone.
Since we are doing open-source, we should not put code beyond community and make the committer
bar so high due to worrying about some wrong changes from community.
After discussion in thread [3], we made our committer bar lower and began to be open to anyone.

2. Detailed Document
Document could help novice learn about your project quickly, and they could get some font
help as well. We are continually add something new to documents, like [4], which will help
committers do release easier
 and standard.

3. Volunteer issue list
A list of tasks or issues helping people who wants to learn or join to know what issues they
can begin with. What’s more, issue list could also provide archived threads for users.

4. Talking open
We would like to make our main talkings open to let anyone know what is happening in our community,
which gives people sense of participation. Meanwhile, some important discussion or conclusion
will be pushed into
our dev mail list.

5. Promotion
Sometimes, we are invited to give some talkings in conferences or hold our meet-up [5]. It
is very important to let people know you, and maybe become interested in you. I guess this
is the first step to interact with your community.

6. Listen to mentor or other communities’ advices
Just as this title said, we are willing to listen to your valuable opinions or experiences.
Would you like to share your idea to us? Thanks in advance.

Oh, it is a long article. I guess only a few of people would give it a look… But, i am willing
to share those things, and appreciated if you could get something from it.

Best wishes to everyone.

Trista

[1] https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/r344a38974cd737678e23f8f94338a4a022e6b90bc75ea67fef226dde%40%3Cdev.shardingsphere.apache.org%3E
[2] https://community.apache.org/apache-way/apache-project-maturity-model.html
[3] https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/e8d5ab2ea936fcb1205f7a0ee80aedfae90649c80f96dffa458ef341%40%3Cdev.shardingsphere.apache.org%3E
[4] https://shardingsphere.apache.org/community/en/contribute/release/
[5] https://twitter.com/ShardingSphere

 Juan Pan (Trista)

Senior DBA & PPMC of Apache ShardingSphere(Incubating)
E-mail: panjuan@apache.org