From Dave Fisher <wave4d...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Omid and Tephra - Graduation (or Retirement?)
Date Thu, 21 Nov 2019 22:16:07 GMT

Sent from my iPhone

> On Nov 21, 2019, at 2:10 PM, Andrew Purtell <andrew.purtell@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Those aren’t comparable though, right?
>
> Solr was a sub project that graduated to a TLP.

Solr is a sub project of Lucene.

> Omid and Tephra are projects that instead of becoming TLP’s “graduated” into the
existing Phoenix TLP.

> Not the same thing.

Exactly.

> And also I don’t believe this result is unsuccessful. Neither Omid or Tephra code bases
are read only or discarded. Omid and Tephra past or future contributors still have a code
base and community to work with. Past Omid and Tephra committers can become Phoenix committers.
Phoenix is a stable TLP. This looks like a success.

>> On Nov 21, 2019, at 4:55 PM, Dave Fisher <wave@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Justin,

>>> HI,

after discussion we have consensus to change these to “retired” then the change is easy.

>>> To officially graduate that would need a board proposal would it not?
>>
>> To graduate as a TLP yes. To graduate as a subproject of an existing TLP no. [1]
>>
>> So there are two kinds of graduation as a subproject: successful like Solr, DistributedLog,
… and unsuccessful like Omid and Tephra. Certainly the “success” here is hard to measure.
Your analysis in the future should consider the resolution tag which has '<resolution tlp="true”/>’
for the TLPs.