From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache PageSpeed 1.14.36.1-rc3
Date Wed, 27 Nov 2019 00:35:45 GMT
Hi,

Is this a call for an IPMC vote on this podlings release? If so the release candidate isn't
in the correct place [1] (but that's easily fixed without revoting).

However, there seems to be some larger issues, so sorry but I’m -1 (binding) as there category
B code and compiled code in the source release.

I checked:
- incubating in name
- hashes and signatures are fine
- DISCLAIMER exists
- LICENSE and NOTICE exist
- The code base appears to contain MPL licensed source code, this is not allowed as it’s
category B. This is OK if these are dependancies and not included.
- The release contains compiled code. [3][4][5][7][8][9][10][11][12][13][14]
- The release contains cryptography [6]. Has an export license been obtained for this? [17]
- How is this file [15] licensed? from here? [16] I notice a number of other images are used
in tests, how are these files licensed?
- There are a large number of files without ASF headers, while not all of the files need ASF
headers a large number will.
- I didn’t try to compile

It may be that the LICENSE file need some more work I’ve not done an exhaustive check but
this to can be refined over time with the WIP DISCLAIMER in place. It is missing a few thing
I think for example:
- This MIT licensed file [19]
- This MIT licensed file [20] which also includes sizzle.js

You might also want to consider replacing the license text of each 3rd party bit in a seperate
file in a single folder (called say licenses) and point to that from the LICENSE as it can
be easier to read.

What I suggest you do is move to using the WIP disclaimer [18], add the known issues above,
make a new release (without any compiled code if possible), and then work on a way to resolve
each of the issues in future releases.

Thanks,
Justin

1. https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/pagespeed
2. https://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html#category-b
3. ./pagespeed/automatic/rewriter_speed_test.o
4. ./pagespeed/automatic/static_rewriter_main.o
5. ./pagespeed/automatic/static_rewriter.o
6 ./third_party/grpc/src/third_party/boringssl
7. ./third_party/libwebp/swig/libwebp.jar
8. ./third_party/libwebp/gradle/wrapper/gradle-wrapper.jar
9 ./pagespeed/automatic/static_rewriter
10 ./pagespeed/automatic/rewriter_speed_test
11 ./pagespeed/automatic/pagespeed_automatic.a
12 ./third_party/brotli/src/tests/testdata/bb.binast
13 ./third_party/libwebp/webp_js/test_webp_wasm.webp
14 ./third_party/libwebp/webp_js/test_webp_js.webp
15. ./install/mod_pagespeed_example/images/Beach.jpg
16. https://www.pexels.com/photo/dirt-road-dry-fence-footprints-210289/
17. http://www.apache.org/licenses/exports/
18. https://incubator.apache.org/policy/incubation.html#disclaimers
19 ./pagespeed/kernel/js/testdata/third_party/prototype.original
20 ./pagespeed/kernel/js/testdata/third_party/jquery.original