From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] NuttX Proposal
Date Tue, 26 Nov 2019 22:11:13 GMT
Hi,

Thanks for the interesting proposal.

There's a couple of things I'm curious if the project has considered (list below). Keep in
mind while I know of NuttX I’m not part of it’s community or know it well.
- Apache has a no dictator rule (friendly or otherwise), given there’s a person who may
be in that role currently in the project, are they fine with giving up control to the rest
of the community?
- The contributors may need to sign ICLAs. Given the number of people involved and the age
of the project, if this ia required, it might be difficult.
- Given the large number of committers, I expected the initial committer list to be much larger,
have you considered inviting all of the major committers?
- What does the community as a whole think abut this move? I can see this here [1], but I
was a little surprised there wasn’t more public discussion about this. Is there consensus
that they want to join the ASF and understand what that means?
- Is the community aware of some of the issues they may encounter in moving to ASF infrastructure
and doing things in an Apache Way? (release process usually being the main difference).
- I notice you mention BSD-4 cause in you list of licenses, this is actually Category X and
not compatible with the ALv2 license. However if  it is what I think it is, it easy to work
around (as we did for Mynewt).

If the proposal does come to the Incubator, (and the project thinks I'm a good fit), I can
help out as a mentor. I‘m mentored a number of IoT projects here at Apache, including Mynewt.

Thanks,
Justin

1. https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/nuttx/oMf6hD7gFZQ