From Jean-Baptiste Onofré ...@nanthrax.net>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] StreamPipes proposal
Date Fri, 01 Nov 2019 17:49:04 GMT
Hi Dominik,

it's an interesting proposal !

It sounds kind of integration platform for IoT protocols (a specialized
platform compared to frameworks like Apache Camel or NiFi).

I would be happy to be mentor on the podling if you want !

Regards
JB

On 01/11/2019 16:51, Dominik Riemer wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> following up my previous mail, we would now like to start an open discussion on bringing
StreamPipes to the Apache Incubator. StreamPipes is an open source self-service toolbox for
analyzing (Industrial) IoT data streams. We are aware that one of our main challenges will
be to diversify the developer base and we are willing (and look forward!) to work on that.

thanks @Chris Dutz for creating the page!

> We appreciate anyone who would be willing to support us a an additional mentor!
>

> Dominik
>

> ----
> StreamPipes Proposal
>
> == Abstract ==
> StreamPipes is a self-service (Industrial) IoT toolbox to enable non-technical users
to connect, analyze and explore (Industrial) IoT data streams.

> = Proposal =
>
> The goal of StreamPipes (www.streampipes.org) is to provide an easy-to-use toolbox for
non-technical users, e.g., domain experts, to exploit data streams coming from (Industrial)
IoT devices. Such users are provided with an intuitive graphical user interface with the Pipeline
Editor at its core. Users are able to graphically model processing pipelines based on data
sources (streams), data processors and data sinks. Data processors and sinks are self-contained
microservices, which implement either stateful or stateless processing logic (e.g., a trend
detection or image classifier). Their processing logic is implemented using one of several
provided wrappers (we currently have wrappers for standalone/Edge-based processing, Apache
Flink, Siddhi and working wrapper prototypes for Apache Kafka Streams and Spark, in the future
we also plan to integrate with Apache Beam). An SDK allows to easily create new pipeline elements.
Pipeline elements can be installed at runtime. To support users in creating pipelines, an
underlying semantics-based data model enables pipeline elements to express requirements on
incoming data streams that need to be fulfilled, thus reducing modeling errors.
> Data streams are integrated by using StreamPipes Connect, which allows to connect data
sources (based on standard protocols, such as MQTT, Kafka, Pulsar, OPC-UA and further PLC4X-supported
protocols) without further programming using a graphical wizard. Additional user-faced modules
of StreamPipes are a Live dashboard to quickly explore IoT data streams and a wizard that
generates code templates for new pipeline elements, a Pipeline Element Installer used to extend
the algorithm feature set at runtime.

> === Background ===
> StreamPipes was started in 2014 by researchers from FZI Research Center for Information
Technology in Karlsruhe, Germany. The original prototype was funded by an EU project centered
around predictive analytics for the manufacturing domain. Since then, StreamPipes was constantly
improved and extended by public funding mainly from federal German ministries. In early 2018,
the source code was officially released under the Apache License 2.0. At the same time, while
we focused on bringing the research prototype to a production-grade tool, the first companies
started to use StreamPipes. Currently, the primary goal is to widen the user and developer
base. At ApacheCon NA 2019, after having talked to many people from the Apache Community,
we finally decided that we would like to bring StreamPipes to the Apache Incubator.

> === Rationale ===
> The (Industrial) IoT domain is a highly relevant and emerging sector. Currently, IoT
platforms are offered by many vendors ranging from SMEs up to large enterprises. We believe
that open source alternatives are an important cornerstone for manufacturing companies to
easily adopt data-driven decision making. From our point of view, StreamPipes fits very well
into the existing (I)IoT ecosystem within the ASF, with projects such as Apache PLC4X focusing
on connecting machine data from PLCs, or other tools we are also using either in the core
of StreamPipes or with integrations (Apache Kafka, Apache IoTDB, Apache Pulsar). StreamPipes
itself focuses on enabling self-service IoT data analytics for non-technical users.
> The whole StreamPipes code is currently on Github. To get a rough estimate of the project
size:
> * streampipes: Backend and core modules, ~3300 commits
> * streampipes-ui: User Interface, ~1300 commits
> * streampipes-pipeline-elements: ~100 Pipeline Elements (data processors/algorithms and
sinks), ~500 Commits
> * streampipes-connect-adapters: ~20 Adapters to connect data, ~100 commits To achieve
our goal to further extend the code base with new features, new connectors and new algorithms
and to grow both the user and developer community, we believe that a community-driven development
process is the best way to further develop StreamPipes. Finally, after having talked to committers
from various Apache IoT-related projects and participation in spontaneous hacking sessions
and being impressed by the collaboration among individual projects, we decided that (from
our point of view) the ASF is the ideal place to be the future home of StreamPipes.

> === Initial Goals ===
> * Move the existing codebase to Apache
> * Fully align with Apache development- and release processes
> * Perform name search and do a thorough review of existing licenses
> * First Apache release
>
> === Current Status ===
> ** Meritocracy **
> We are absolutely committed to strengthen StreamPipes as a real community-driven open
source project. The existing committer base is highly motivated to foster the open source
way in the industrial IoT sector and, together with existing Apache communities focused on
this domain, provide open source tooling for Industrial IoT projects in the same way Apache
offers in the Big Data space, for instance.
> The development philosophy behind StreamPipes has always followed the principles of meritocracy
- although most committers are still active in the project, we managed to onboard new, committed
developers regularly. 2 people, who are today core of the developer team, have joined during
the past year. Therefore, we would aim to continuously expand the PMC and committer base based
on merit.

> ** Community **
> Since being open-sourced in 2018, the public interest in StreamPipes has steadily grown.
Several companies, mainly from the manufacturing domain, have tested StreamPipes in form of
proof-of-concept projects. First companies have started to use StreamPipes in production.
This was due to a high number of events from meetups, research conferences, demo sessions
up to hackathons we participated or organized during the past two years. After having generated
a general interest in StreamPipes, our next focus will be to find more committers to diversify
the contributor base.

> ** Core Developers **
> The core developers of the system are Dominik Riemer, Philipp Zehnder, Patrick Wiener
and Johannes Tex. All core developers are initial committers in the current proposal. Some
former students who recently started to work at companies and who have also worked on the
project with great commitment, will be asked to further contribute to the project.

> ** Alignment **
> StreamPipes has dependencies to a lot of existing Apache projects - this is one reason
why we think that the ASF is the best future home for StreamPipes. The messaging layer is
based on Apache Kafka (and also Apache Pulsar as a future option), and runtime wrappers exist
for Apache Flink, Apache Spark and Apache Kafka Streams. StreamPipes Connect already includes
adapters for several Apache projects. Most importantly, we integrate (and plan to deepen the
integration) with IIoT-focused projects such as Apache PLC4X. Also, several data sinks exist
to send messages to tools from other Apache projects (e.g., Apache Kafka, Apache Pulsar, and
Apache IoTDB). Together with these tools (and also after having talked to the core developers
after this year's ApacheCon) we are absolutely convinced that a tight integration between
these tools will strengthen the open source IoT ecosystem.

> === Known Risks ===
> ** Orphaned Products **
> We don't expect the risk of an orphaned product. The initial committers have worked on
the project for years and are absolutely committed to making this open source tool a great
success. All initial committers are committed to work on StreamPipes in their free time.

> ** Inexperience with Open Source **
> All initial committers have years of expertise related to open source development and
understand what open source means. However, none of the initial committers are currently committers
to Apache projects, although some have already contributed to some projects. From a variety
of events and from intensively studying Apache mailing lists, we are sure that the Apache
Way is the way we'd like the project to move into the future. We expect to benefit from the
experiences from the ASF in building successful open source projects.

> ** Length of Incubation **
> We are aware that incubation is a process that is focused on building the community,
learning the Apache Way and other important things such as learning the release process and
handling licensing and trademark issues. We are also aware that, although there is a steadily
increasing interest in StreamPipes, a major challenge we would need (and are willing) to work
on during the incubation phase is widening the committer base. We look forward to that as
a large developer base is exactly what we are striving for.

> ** Homogeneous Developers **
> Most current developers work for the same institution (FZI). The motivation of all developers
goes beyond their commitment to work and all current committers work on StreamPipes in their
free time. Recently, we have received first pull requests from external contributors and a
growing interest from users and companies outside of FZI. First manufacturing companies have
already evaluated and adopted StreamPipes. To attract external developers, we've created an
extensive documentation, have a Slack channel to quickly answer questions, and provide help
via mail. Therefore, we believe that making the developer community more heterogeneous is
not only mandatory, but something that can be achieved during the next months.

> ** Reliance on salaried developers **
> Currently, StreamPipes receives support from salaried developers, mainly research scientists
from FZI. However, all core developers substantially work on StreamPipes in their spare time.
As this has been the case from the beginning in early 2014, it can be expected that a substantial
portion of volunteers will continue to be working on the project and we aim at strengthening
the base of non-paid committers and paid committers of other companies. At the same time,
funding of the initial StreamPipes team is secured by public funding for the next few years,
making sure that there will be also enough commitment from developers during their work time.

> ** Relationships with other Apache products **
> StreamPipes is often compared to tools such as Node-Red and Apache Nifi. This is mainly
based on a similar UI concept (dataflow approach). Despite some technological differences
(e.g., the microservice analytics approach vs. single-host runtime of Node-Red, the wrapper
architecture and the underlying semantics-based model), we believe the target audience differs.
We aim to collaborate with the Apache Nifi community in terms of exchanging best practices
and also integrating both projects (e.g., by building connectors).
> As mentioned above, quite a few adapters and data sinks are already available that link
to existing Apache projects.

> ** An excessive fascination with the Apache Brand **
> Although we recognize the Apache brand as the most visible brand in the open source domain,
the primary goal of this proposal is not to create publicity, but to widen the developer base.
We believe that successful projects have broad and diverse communities. We expect that an
Apache project, with a clear and proven way to develop open source software, helps in finding
new committers. As the core development team has already worked on StreamPipes for the past
few years and is fully committed to the software and its benefit for the industrial IoT domain,
we would also continue development without being an Apache project.

> === Documentation ===
> Currently, we host a website at https://www.streampipes.org More technical info (user
+ developer guide) can be found in the documentation: https://docs.streampipes.org, where
users can find tutorials and manuals on how to extend StreamPipes using the SDK.

> === Initial Source ===
> Currently, the following Github repositories exist, all licensed under the Apache Software
License 2.0:
> * streampipes (https://www.github.com/streampipes/streampipes, the backend & pipeline
management module)
> * streampipes-ui (https://www.github.com/streampipes/streampipes-ui, the UI module)
> * streampipes-pipeline-elements (https://www.github.com/streampipes/streampipes-pipeline-elements,
library of data processors and sinks)
> * streampipes-connect-adapters (https://www.github.com/streampipes/streampipes-connect-adapters,
StreamPipes connect adapters)
> * streampipes-docs (https://www.github.com/streampipes/streampipes-docs, the abovementioned
documentation)

> === Source and intellectual property submission plan === All initial committers will
sign a ICLA with the ASF. FZI, as the organizational body that has employed the main contributors
of StreamPipes, will sign a CCLA and donate the codebase to the ASF (both subject to formal
approval). All major contributors are still active in the project.

> === External Dependencies ===
> We did an initial review of all dependencies used in the various projects. No critical
libraries that depend on category X licenses were found, some minor issues have already been
resolved (e.g., removing dependencies to org.json libraries). Most external dependencies used
by the Java-based (backend, pipeline-elements and connect) modules are licensed under the
Apache License 2.0, whereas some licenses are Cat B (e.g., CDDL). Most external dependencies
the UI requires on are licensed under the MIT license.
> Once we are moving to the Incubator, we would do a complete check of all transitive dependencies.
We don't expect any surprises here.

> === Cryptography ===
> (not applicable)
>
> === Required Resources ===
>
> ** Mailing Lists **
> We plan to use the following mailing lists:
> * users@streampipes.incubator.apache.org
> * dev@streampipes.incubator.apache.org
> * private@streampipes.incubator.apache.org
> * commits@streampipes.incubator.apache.org
> As StreamPipes is targeted to a non-technical audience, we see a dedicated user mailing
list as an important requirement to help users.

> ** Subversion directory **
> (not applicable)
>
> ** Git repositories **
> We would like to use Git for source code management and enable Github mirroring functionality.
>
> As we plan to merge some of the repos described above to simplify the release process
we ask to create the following source repositories:
> * streampipes (containing backend + UI)
> * streampipes-extensions (containing modules that can be dynamically installed at runtime:
pipeline elements and connect adapters)