From Andrew Purtell <andrew.purt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Omid and Tephra - Graduation (or Retirement?)
Date Thu, 21 Nov 2019 22:20:03 GMT
Ok my mistake about Solr. I thought it was a TLP.

As to the second half of what I said still this doesn’t look like a failure to gain a community
and stable management. Omid and Tephra code is now under Phoenix. The Phoenix TLP has a community
and stable management. Just like Lucene has a community and stable management.

> On Nov 21, 2019, at 5:16 PM, Dave Fisher <wave4dave@comcast.net> wrote:
>

> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Nov 21, 2019, at 2:10 PM, Andrew Purtell <andrew.purtell@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Those aren’t comparable though, right?
>>
>> Solr was a sub project that graduated to a TLP.
>
> Solr is a sub project of Lucene.
>>
>> Omid and Tephra are projects that instead of becoming TLP’s “graduated” into
the existing Phoenix TLP.

>> Not the same thing.
>
> Exactly.
>>
>> And also I don’t believe this result is unsuccessful. Neither Omid or Tephra code
bases are read only or discarded. Omid and Tephra past or future contributors still have a
code base and community to work with. Past Omid and Tephra committers can become Phoenix committers.
Phoenix is a stable TLP. This looks like a success.

>>> Hi Justin,

If after discussion we have consensus to change these to “retired” then the change is
easy.

>>> To graduate as a TLP yes. To graduate as a subproject of an existing TLP no.
[1]

>>> So there are two kinds of graduation as a subproject: successful like Solr, DistributedLog,
… and unsuccessful like Omid and Tephra. Certainly the “success” here is hard to measure.
Your analysis in the future should consider the resolution tag which has '<resolution tlp="true”/>’
for the TLPs.