From "Juan Pan" <panj...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Incubator cookbook: Podling Releases update
Date Tue, 26 Nov 2019 04:06:30 GMT
Hi Bertrand,

> So I'd say "votes from the podling dev list should be carried over to the Incubator PMC
vote, by explicitly mentioned them and including a link to the corresponding vote tally (from
lists.apache.org) in the Incubator PMC vote message”.

From my understanding, it means release manager should append the vote tally link from dev
list and explicitly mention the detail of vote result from dev ml when they call for release
vote in general ml to help all the IPMCs know what has happened easily. Is it right?

Best wishes,
Trista

 Juan Pan

panjuan@apache.org
Juan Pan(Trista), Apache ShardingSphere

On 11/25/2019 17:23,Bertrand Delacretaz<bdelacretaz@codeconsult.ch> wrote:
Hi,

On Fri, Nov 22, 2019 at 9:47 PM Craig Russell <apache.clr@gmail.com> wrote:
...2. Votes on the dev list should automatically carry over to the general list...

I disagree with making this automatic.

It's fine for whoever starts the IPMC vote to indicate that dev list
votes carry over, including a link to those vote's archived email.

I'm also fine with recommending that people do that.

But "automatic" puts the burden on IPMC members to go find those votes
(if people forget to include a link) and is not obvious from the IPMC
email archives, if it's not mentioned explicitly.

So I'd say "votes from the podling dev list should be carried over to
the Incubator PMC vote, by explicitly mentioned them and including a
link to the corresponding vote tally (from lists.apache.org) in the
Incubator PMC vote message".

...or something like that.

I also think the proposed text does not match the current concise
style of the cookbook but (as Blaise Pascal would say ;-) I don't have
time to make it shorter right now. I've put that on my list but don't
wait for me if someone wants to publish it.

-Bertrand