From "Nygard, Carl J" <carl.nyg...@cengage.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] MetaObjects for Apache Incubator
Date Tue, 03 Sep 2019 19:16:59 GMT
Justin,

I'm running into a bit of chicken/egg problem in terms of process for donating source code.

To frame the problem:  Part of the code is already released as open-source, which is available
in the github repository.  Part of the code is yet to be released since it was developed
internally by Cengage.  Cengage wishes to donate the code to Apache, but is unable to do
so until the project is accepted as an Incubator project.  The Apache community members looking
to approve the project understandably would like to better understand what they are approving
and so would like to get access to the code which is to be donated.

I'm sure you've seen similar issues in the past and I'm looking for some advice/options to
be able to move forward.

--carl

From: Justin Mclean <justin@classsoftware.com>
Sent: Tuesday, July 30, 2019 4:35 AM
To: general@incubator.apache.org <general@incubator.apache.org>
Subject: Re: [PROPOSAL] MetaObjects for Apache Incubator

 Hi,

> Currently most development is happening within Cengage.  The core library hasn't changed
much, aside from some bug fixes.  Most of the recent innovation has occurred in other libraries
built upon the draagon-metaobjects foundations.  That code is part of
 what is proposed to be donated to the apache-metaobjects project.

Thanks for that, I still a little unclear what code base is being donated. I’m just asking
as that may make the IP transfers process easier or harder, you might have to get ICLA from
people who have worked on it in the past for instance.

> Regarding the mentor list, I saw the Apache committer list included Heath, but misunderstood
that being a committer did not imply ASF membership, which was my mistake.  However, Johan
Edstrom and James Carman are members of the IPMC, and Jamie mentioned to
 me that he has requested IPMC membership as well.  In addition, James has mentored a few
projects in the past.  We would welcome another mentor if anyone is interested in helping
build a community around the project.

I think it would be best for a project if you had an mentor with some more experience. It
can be difficult if you mentors go missing or if they may not be familiar with recent changes
in infrastructure or the incubator.

Thanks,
Justin