From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: Business decisions and risk (was: [DISCUSS] IPMC votes on releases)
Date Thu, 15 Aug 2019 12:37:59 GMT

> On Aug 14, 2019, at 1:24 AM, Dave Fisher <wave4dave@comcast.net> wrote:
>

>>> Q: Does the IPMC want to produce non-ASF releases?
>
> My answer is yes! I want podlings to be on a path towards graduation! I recognize multiple
requirements. The path may differ for each podling. I’m the end there are two outcomes!

What does it mean to be a "non-ASF release"?

To be clear: I want, when podlings do releases, that all podling members enjoy the legal protections
inherent in doing a s/w release that all other people enjoy when *they* do a release. That
is only possible if those releases are ASF releases. Heck, I would say that having protection
at this stage is likely more important, and likely more needed, than when subversion, for
example, does one.

HOWEVER, those releases are specifically noted as likely being of varying quality and compliance
as typical ASF releases from TLP/PMCs.

So legally, they should be ASF releases. Culturally, and expectation-wise, they are non-typical
releases.

Again, the Incubator is, or at least should be, a safe space where communities can learn about
the Apache Way, and how to build communities and how to develop software and how to do releases...
All of that stuff is inherently risky. That's what the Incubator is also there to do: assume
that risk so that podlings can learn to the point where they can assume their own risk. This
does not mean, however, that the Incubator should be constantly getting in the way of podlings,
using risk-abatement as the reason for gatekeeping.