From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Drop requirement that ASF members can join IPMC by just asking
Date Mon, 12 Aug 2019 22:59:46 GMT
On Mon, 12 Aug 2019 at 23:35, Justin Mclean <justin@classsoftware.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > Is there a problem we are trying to solve or is this just a concern that
> > it might become a problem as we scale?
>
> It’s already a problem. I suggest you look at the missing mentors / mentors who don’t
sign off report and look at how they were appointed. I can post the stats if you want, but
perhaps not to this list.

> Changing this would also mean people who want to be IPMC members need to do a little
work at the IPMC (and it should be a low bar), that hopefully means more a bit more knowledge
transfer / active mentors self select and a few more people helping the IPMC out.

> Plus it’s different to how every other PMC appoints people, I don't see why the incubator
needs to be special in this regard.

I think this may cause more work for the Incubator.
Instead of ASF members offering themselves, the PMC will have to
actively seek out new candidates.

Also, I don't think there is anything stopping the IPMC from inviting
new members now.