From Sam Ruby <ru...@intertwingly.net>
Subject Re: Business decisions and risk (was: [DISCUSS] IPMC votes on releases)
Date Thu, 15 Aug 2019 12:48:04 GMT
On Wed, Aug 14, 2019 at 9:47 PM Justin Mclean <justin@classsoftware.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Thanks for the idea and offer of help.
>
> > 1) Concurrent with the start of a release vote by a PPMC, the IPMC is
> > to be notified that that vote is happening.  IPMC members are
> > encouraged to participate in the vote process on the PPMC list where
> > it is happening.
>
> This has been discussed before and I’m not sure the IPMC has the bandwidth for this.
Most releases go through a couple RCs, sometime that can be more. This would be asking the
IPMC to potentially review 3x-5x the number of releases than it normally done.

> > 3) If the PPMC vote completes before there is a call for an IPMC vote,
> > the PPMC is free to make the release.
>
> How does fit with the requirement that 3 +1 PMC votes needed for a release? Or is it
doing away with it?

Sorry for being unclear.  My suggestion was that the IPMC only votes
in the exceptional case where an IPMC member requests a vote.  My
assertion is that oversight and the opportunity to intercede when
needed is sufficient.

> Thanks,
> Justin

- Sam Ruby