From David Jencks <david.a.jen...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Business decisions and risk (was: [DISCUSS] IPMC votes on releases)
Date Wed, 14 Aug 2019 00:18:51 GMT
What’s a “vanity mentor“? How do I recognize one before a podling has a significant history?
Who is currently accepting these vanity mentors and how would they stop doing so?

Hindsight is 20-20... I have no crystal ball.

David Jencks

Sent from my iPhone

> On Aug 13, 2019, at 5:10 PM, Justin Mclean <justin@classsoftware.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
>> Here's an idea... The IPMC focuses on supporting mentors to do their job rather than
forcing project developers and their mentors to jump through arbitrarily defined hoops.

> What "arbitrarily defined hoops” are you referring to? ASF policy or something else?
>
>> The IPMC doesn't need to enforce policy of any kind, except at the point of graduation.

> That seems less than ideal to me, why would a IPMC volunteer want to do that job? And
again IMO it introduces a hard gate that podlings are going to dislike, probably more so than
they do now.

>> When things change for individuals and they can no longer be good mentors then the
IPMC  needs to make it a priority to help find a new, truly dedicated mentor. It's a problem
that needs to be solved, but let's worry about that when it's actually a problem rather than
a hypothetical one.

> It’s currently a problem, not a hypothetical, see for instance votes coming to this
list without 3 mentors +1 votes, or the missing reports or missing sign-offs on the current
incubator report to the board. This problem isn’t going unrecognised either, you’ll also
note that recently nearly every month new mentors have been found and added to podlings that
need them.