From David Jencks <david.a.jen...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Drop requirement that ASF members can join IPMC by just asking
Date Mon, 12 Aug 2019 23:05:39 GMT
I don’t understand how obstructing people from becoming mentors is going to increase their
involvement.  In the unlikely event that I got interested enough in an incoming project to
want to mentor it, no matter what rules are in place, my doing so depends on my commitment
to actually mentoring. Putting additional hoops in place to jump through would just make me
think that there’s too much bureaucracy not related to actually mentoring.

I think you want a way of asking potential mentors, “Are you sure you want to do this? Really?
Truly? If you sign up to mentor and disappear you will be dragging the project down and pushing
it away from Apache.  Are you still sure?” Why not just ask them directly?

David Jencks

> On Aug 12, 2019, at 3:34 PM, Justin Mclean <justin@classsoftware.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
>> Is there a problem we are trying to solve or is this just a concern that
>> it might become a problem as we scale?
>
> It’s already a problem. I suggest you look at the missing mentors / mentors who don’t
sign off report and look at how they were appointed. I can post the stats if you want, but
perhaps not to this list.

> Changing this would also mean people who want to be IPMC members need to do a little
work at the IPMC (and it should be a low bar), that hopefully means more a bit more knowledge
transfer / active mentors self select and a few more people helping the IPMC out.

> Plus it’s different to how every other PMC appoints people, I don't see why the incubator
needs to be special in this regard.