From "David P Grove" <gro...@us.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Re: [VOTE] Release Apache OpenWhisk Catalog (v0.10.0-incubating, rc1)
Date Sun, 07 Jul 2019 16:47:17 GMT
Justin Mclean <justin@classsoftware.com> wrote on 07/05/2019 10:54:16 PM

> > Since the problem is addressed by new versions of these file, I
> > expect that the
> > easiest solution forward is to pick those up in future releases.
>
> Is that all you need to do to comply with ASF policy? (Hint does it
> have a NOTICE file? Where should all licenses be listed? How would a
> user know you’ve included that 3rd party code?)

I inspected the gradle 5.5 release [1].  It does not contain a NOTICE.
The gradlew and gradlew.bat contained in gradle 5.5 are Apache licensed
and have Apache license headers.  We have updated the openwhisk-catalog git
repo to use gradlew[.bat] from the gradle 5.5 release and added a sentence
to our NOTICE file noting the bundling of two third-party Apache licensed
files.

See [2] for the exact wording added to our NOTICE file.  I inspected the
NOTICE
files from a dozen TLP Apache projects (httpd, flink, kafka, zookeeper,
tomcat, ...) and attempted to match the majority style for similar notices.

To the best of my understanding, this is an appropriate treatment.

We will wait a day or so before applying the same PR across all of
our repos in case I am still missing something.

--dave

[1] https://github.com/gradle/gradle/archive/v5.5.0.tar.gz
[2] https://github.com/apache/incubator-openwhisk-catalog/pull/305