From Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>
Subject Re: New disclaimer text
Date Wed, 03 Jul 2019 19:24:58 GMT
On Wed, Jul 3, 2019 at 12:17 PM Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:
> > On Jul 3, 2019, at 11:50 AM, Roman Shaposhnik <roman@shaposhnik.org> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Jul 2, 2019 at 10:28 AM Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi -

> >> How is this?
> >>
> >> “Some of the incubating project’s releases may not be fully compliant with
ASF policy. For example, releases may have incomplete or unreviewed licensing conditions.
Known issues will be described on the project’s status page."

> > I would suggest we have a policy where known issues are actually
> > listed in the DISCLAIMER itself. Along the lines of:
> >
> > "Some of the incubating project’s releases may not be fully compliant
> > with ASF policy. For example, releases may have incomplete or
> > unreviewed licensing conditions. What follows is a list of known
> > issues the project is currently aware of (note that this list, by
> > definition, is likely to be incomplete):”
>
> -1.
>
> This only works for issues known before a release is cut. It does NOT WORK if the issue
is discovered during the release vote. Why? Because we are trying to allow the release to
go through without redoing it and this would require reworking the release.

> I would rather do it outside of the release. Policing the actual DISCLAIMER is not easily
feasible and decreases the burden.

> If this is the decision then it leads to a choice that is worse than the status quo.

Nobody is suggesting the policing bit. What I'm suggesting is a
central place for that information to be collated. Whether that
becomes a showstopper for a release gets decided by the VOTE. But what
I'm saying is that we shouldn't be in a position where we have to hunt
for *known* and *acknowledged* issues all over the place (JIRA,
mailing lists, wiki, website, etc.). Lets at least make sure we make
our downstream consumer's life a bit easier.

Thanks,
Roman.