From Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>
Subject Re: New disclaimer text
Date Wed, 03 Jul 2019 19:32:28 GMT
On Wed, Jul 3, 2019 at 12:29 PM Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:

> [...]
with ASF policy. For example, releases may have incomplete or unreviewed licensing conditions.
Known issues will be described on the project’s status page."

> >> -1.
> >>
> >> This only works for issues known before a release is cut. It does NOT WORK if
the issue is discovered during the release vote. Why? Because we are trying to allow the release
to go through without redoing it and this would require reworking the release.

> >> I would rather do it outside of the release. Policing the actual DISCLAIMER
is not easily feasible and decreases the burden.

> >> If this is the decision then it leads to a choice that is worse than the status
quo.

> > Nobody is suggesting the policing bit. What I'm suggesting is a
> > central place for that information to be collated. Whether that
> > becomes a showstopper for a release gets decided by the VOTE. But what
> > I'm saying is that we shouldn't be in a position where we have to hunt
> > for *known* and *acknowledged* issues all over the place (JIRA,
> > mailing lists, wiki, website, etc.). Lets at least make sure we make
> > our downstream consumer's life a bit easier.
>
> My suggestion is that we put these onto our neglected status pages. I’m also willing
to work on enhancing the status page and process to make this easy for Podlings to do.

Sure, that's a reasonable place too, but the problem is -- it doesn't
help our downstream consumers.

What I'm trying to say is this, I'd like:
   1. this information to be available in one centralized location (per project)
   2. be easily discoverable by downstream consumers

If we all agree that #1 is desired (and sounds like we are). Then #2
can simply contain a link to #1 -- that'd be fine.

Makes sense?

Thanks,
Roman.