From Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>
Subject Re: New disclaimer text
Date Wed, 03 Jul 2019 18:50:56 GMT
On Tue, Jul 2, 2019 at 10:28 AM Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:

> Hi -
>
> > On Jul 1, 2019, at 1:30 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacretaz@codeconsult.ch>
wrote:

> > Hi,
> >
> > On Sun, Jun 30, 2019 at 1:39 AM Justin Mclean <justin@classsoftware.com> wrote:
> >> ...I put up suggested text changes for an incubator disclaimer here [1]...
> >
> > Basically just adding this, right?
> >
> >> Some of the project releases may not follow ASF policy or have
> >> incomplete or unknown licensing conditions....
> >
> > It works for me but I'd say "incubating project" to be clearer.
>
> How is this?
>
> “Some of the incubating project’s releases may not be fully compliant with ASF policy.
For example, releases may have incomplete or unreviewed licensing conditions. Known issues
will be described on the project’s status page."

I would suggest we have a policy where known issues are actually
listed in the DISCLAIMER itself. Along the lines of:

"Some of the incubating project’s releases may not be fully compliant
with ASF policy. For example, releases may have incomplete or
unreviewed licensing conditions. What follows is a list of known
issues the project is currently aware of (note that this list, by
definition, is likely to be incomplete):"

I would also suggest we add an explicit note warning our downstream consumers:

"If you are planning to incorporate this work into your
product/project, please be aware that you will need to conduct a
thorough licensing review to determine the overall implications of
including this work"

> >> ...It also been suggested than any known issues be listed in the disclaimer...
> >
> > I don't think that works as modifying the disclaimer to list issues
> > will change the digests of the archive that's being voted on - and
> > those shouldn't change IMO.
> >
> > As Paul suggests in a different thread I'd go for easy to find tickets
> > to describe those changes. The disclaimer might point to
> > http://incubator.apache.org/release-issues which in turn points to
> > those tickets, keyed by release name and version number. Or something
> > like that - a permalink that points to the details.
>
> I would suggest that in a revamping of podling status pages that the podling can list
current issues with each release.

> The link to that page is easy: http://incubator.apache.org/projects/<podling>
>
> BTW - I’ve changed my thoughts on a Whimsical version of the status data and am planning
to put these in as AsciiDoc pages / YML into the Incubator’s Git.