From Sheng Wu <wu.sheng.841...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: New disclaimer text
Date Sun, 14 Jul 2019 02:04:28 GMT
Not good at naming stuff :) But I support to use different names.

Sheng Wu
Apache Skywalking, ShardingSphere, Zipkin

> 在 2019年7月14日,上午9:49,Craig Russell <apache.clr@gmail.com> 写道:
>
> It looks like we are closing on agreement to have (at least) two disclaimers. Now we
need to discuss naming. [1]

> Two big choices here:
>
> DISCLAIMER.txt for both versions of disclaimer; or
>
> DISCLAIMER.txt for the current standard disclaimer and some other name for the new disclaimer.
>
> If we choose another name:
>
> DISCLAIMER2.txt
> DISCLAIMER-X.txt
> DISCLAIMER-L.txt
>
> The advantage of keeping the same name for old and new disclaimers is there is no need
to change existing tools. But I'd argue that this violates the principle of least surprise.
If someone is reviewing a release, possibly with the idea of redistributing it, they see DISCLAIMER.txt
and think they know what it contains, but it does not. Oops.

> The advantage of changing the name with changed content is it highlights that this is
not the same disclaimer we all know and love. Which means the person (or AI bot) reviewing
the release is going to raise a flag to be looked at in more detail. At that point, the reviewer
(or human overseer) will notice that the content is different and the release needs to have
more scrutiny. Of course, the disadvantage of this is that tooling will need to change to
accommodate the new disclosure.

> If we go down the path of changing the file name, I'd probably lean toward DISCLAIMER-X.txt
which sounds a bit scary until you read the disclaimer which is much more scary than the file
name.

> Regards,
>
> Craig
>
> [1] The two hardest problems in computer science: cache invalidation, naming and off-by-one
> https://martinfowler.com/bliki/TwoHardThings.html
>
>> On Jul 12, 2019, at 7:04 PM, Dave Fisher <wave4dave@comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>> +1 if as discussed earlier we enhance both disclaimers to include a link to the podling
status page where the podling will provide the most up to date details.

>> We can discuss a new Git based status page in a separate thread. I’d like to change
from the xml/secret yaml files in svn to a straight up markdown file in Git.