From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache OpenWhisk Catalog (v0.10.0-incubating, rc1)
Date Sat, 06 Jul 2019 02:54:16 GMT
Hi,

> As you found/noted in another email, gradle[w.bat] are Apache 2 licensed.
> For posterity, we discussed these files [1] and [2] as examples (and they
> are listed under the exclusions here [3]). Note that this is the first time
> anyone on this list has raised a licensing issue wrt gradle.

It's been raised in a  previous OpenWhisk release vote. [1] and other project releases e.g.
[2[3], and it come quite a few times on this list, mostly around not including the jar but
also licensing aspects of it. This legal Jira may also help [4]. I don’t see how it can
be excluded, in a podling release it’s something to be fixed later (hence my +1 vote) but
TLP’s releases need to comply with licensing and ASF policy.

> Since the problem is addressed by new versions of these file, I expect that the
> easiest solution forward is to pick those up in future releases.

Is that all you need to do to comply with ASF policy? (Hint does it have a NOTICE file? Where
should all licenses be listed? How would a user know you’ve included that 3rd party code?)

Thanks,
Justin

1. https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/041045024538dd9d3d7bf4b32701260a63996c48e115194302dcf0c1@%3Cgeneral.incubator.apache.org%3E
2. https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/90cd9f9b4de056c581b61b35131e4f4083966675a371b9d89a66bcc5@%3Cgeneral.incubator.apache.org%3E