From Craig Russell <apache....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: New disclaimer text
Date Sat, 27 Jul 2019 18:16:15 GMT
I agree that the DISCLAIMER-WIP should refer to the status page, but the current disclaimer
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INCUBATOR/New+Incubator+Disclaimer also has a
free-form section for a list of known issues. "What follows is a list of known
issues the project is currently aware of..."

I think that the free-form section should also be generic, and refer to the JIRA or github
issues for the podling. Something like

https://github.com/apache/<podling>/issues or
https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/<podling>/issues

After looking at a couple of podlings, I now understand that it is difficult to construct
a definitive link since each project has its own way to track issues.

But I also think that editing the DISCLAIMER-WIP file should not be the first choice...

Maybe we should require that any podling that has DISCLAIMER-WIP issues must also have a page
with known issues. This page can itself refer to jira or github but it has to be easy to find.
How about https://<podling>.apache.org/issues.html which itself should be linked from
https://<podling>.apache.org. The page should have prominent links "Issues to be resolved
before the next release" and "Issues to be resolved before graduation". If the issues are
organized well in the issue tracker, these links can be fixed links that don't need to be
edited for each release.
https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/<podling>/issues/?filter=graduationblockingissues
and
https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/<podling>/issues/?filter=releaseblockingissues

I can already hear the voices "the incubator is too heavy handed". But the incubator is allowing
the podling to release with known issues, so I think it's a fair compromise.

Regards,

Craig

> On Jul 12, 2019, at 8:28 PM, Dave Fisher <wave4dave@comcast.net> wrote:
>

> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Jul 12, 2019, at 7:32 PM, Justin Mclean <justin@classsoftware.com> wrote:
>>
>> HI,
>>
>>> +1 if as discussed earlier we enhance both disclaimers to include a link to the
podling status page where the podling will provide the most up to date details.

>> I think the text needs to refer to that release, while the latest is also useful,
it if doesn’t include things that were in that release it could be misleading.

> The language would be:
>
> “For the current status of this project through the Apache Incubator visit http://incubator.apache.org/project/${podling}.html
>

>> Thanks,
>> Justin