From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Re: [IMPORTANT] Board proposal on podling releases
Date Mon, 10 Jun 2019 01:27:11 GMT
Hi,

> It takes a new mindset. What is the *bare* minimum MUST? Two items?
> maaaaaaaybe three?

Given this is probably a radical departure, would it be best to do as an experiment with a
couple of podlings? Small reversible steps. Would you be willing to work on a proposal to
the board and act a mentor on one or more podlings who took this path?

> And keep the IPMC out of it. No votes on releases. Stop second-guessing the
> mentors and the podling communities.

I don't see how IPMC votes are second guessing. IPMC votes are required. That's ASF policy
/ bylaws not incubator policy. We could look into changing this, but probably best discussed
in another thread.

Not all mentors (who are IPMC members) vote on releases and podlings in most cases need to
ask for extra votes from the wider IPMC. I would guess 90% of them, so I’m not sure how
your proposal deals with that. IPMC votes also pick up things the podlings/mentors miss, about
1 in 5 releases have a serious issue that the IPMC finds. That I think is a valuable service,
one that we may not want to throw away. One way perhaps to deal with that is mentor education
/ engagement.

The IPMC already added one way for releases to get reviewed by the IPMC without a vote, but
so far no podling has taken the IPMC up on the offer.

Thanks,
Justin