From Rodric Rabbah <rod...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Apache OpenWhisk graduation to Top Level Project
Date Sun, 16 Jun 2019 22:49:12 GMT
The link to slack contains the content I wrote in the issue. We digest the slack conversations
every night and email them to the dev list so that I could have used a ponymail permalink
instead.

Anyone can self signup for slack there are no approvals or prohibitions on who can sign up.
We should remove that text it’s misleading but may be coming from slack itself. Will check
it out.

Here’s an example ponymail digest https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/6dc90a0226d48c43ef3ebeaab30c0e925a5c14605caf51c27dc1e04c@%3Cdev.openwhisk.apache.org%3E

-r

> On Jun 16, 2019, at 6:38 PM, Justin Mclean <justinmclean@me.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
>> There's a bit of discussion that can happen (and sometimes does) on
>> the issue trackers which provide a bit more interactive yet
>> asynchronous method of communication. The Slack activity is almost
>> comparable to general chit chat at ApacheCon hackathons or similar.
>
> That may be so but I’m seeing stuff like this. Email on upcoming release [1] points
to GitHub [2] points to Slack [3]

> In order to view [3] you need to create an account and log into slack. Now I don’t
think this is a graduation issue, but the PMC might want to consider how they bring information
back from slack rather than link to it. I assume at some point the information behind that
link would be lost (free tier right?).

> I’ll note the slack page also says "If you have an @us.ibm.com, @uk.ibm.com, @adobe.com,
@de.ibm.com, @il.ibm.com, or @apache.org email address, you can create an account.” what
if you don’t have one of those accounts? While a committer will have an apache account,
a contributor is not likely to have any of those. (They could find this [4] and sign up).
Seems like a barrier to entry I think.