From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: Podling releases and release policy
Date Mon, 03 Jun 2019 15:31:14 GMT
Ask yourself this question - “What is the point of the Incubator”?

One of the goals is to teach projects how to create a release that complies with ASF policy.
But we would be stupid to expect that on the first Incubator release as we expect projects
to come in with already working source code and their own build & release methodology.
Placing the disclaimer on the project’s site and labeling the release as incubating is done
so that downstream users are aware the release may be be up to ASF standards.

If we required that podling releases adhered to ASF release policy there would be no need
for the disclaimer. At the same time, we would probably have a lot of projects leave the incubator
because it would take them so long to get their first release out.

Ralph

> On Jun 2, 2019, at 3:06 PM, Justin Mclean <justinmclean@me.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
>> That is demonstrably not true, as (historically) the Incubator has made
>> releases with GPL'd code in them (eg. Hibernate).
>
> I assume you mean a dependancy on? I can think of 2 occasions this has occurred, both
times permission of VP legal was required.