From Craig Russell <apache....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [IMPORTANT] Board proposal on podling releases
Date Fri, 07 Jun 2019 18:00:24 GMT
Hi Justin,

As a board member, I'm not comfortable with granting a blanket exception to policy that might
put us at legal risk.

As an IPMC member, I think that we do not want to allow podlings to release material that
might put us at legal risk. I do think that the IPMC under today's policy has the ability
to decide whether a podling release puts us at risk and therefore should be blocked. So I
am not convinced that the IPMC needs to ask for this waiver from the board.

My understanding as an IPMC member is that there are some items in a release that can be
allowed where they would not be in a TLP release. These things have historically drawn -1
votes from IPMC members.

I think there is consensus that a podling release does not have to conform in every respect
to what we expect from a TLP release.

I think that the incubator IPMC should first flesh out (on the general@ list) which materials
in a podling release are
a) fine;
b) minor issue (file a JIRA and fix before graduation); or
c) blocker (puts the foundation at risk).

The detail of what is minor versus what it a blocker is the most important thing that needs
clarity. As of now, I don't see consensus although I see movement.

Craig

> On Jun 6, 2019, at 11:45 PM, Justin Mclean <justin@classsoftware.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> As suggested I’ve collated information from several threads and turned it into a proposal
for the board. Any edits, feedback, agreement, disagreement etc etc is welcome. In particular
it would be nice  to hear some feedback from people who are in favour of this.

> Note that this is important as it probably changes the advice mentors will give their
podlings on releases and change in a positive way how we vote on releases with serious issues
in them. If you are a mentor or vote on releases please read it. Again feedback welcome.

> If the board agrees with the proposal I think we'll need to update the incubator DISCLAIMER.
I’ve suggested what we might add in the proposal but the exact changes can to be discussed
here. If the board disagrees with the proposal I suggest we discuss and come up with a list
of serious issues that the IPMC recommends voting -1 vote on a release. This is just guidance,
not rules, and there may of course be exceptions. (For instance you could ask VP legal for
an exception as has been done in the past.)  That way mentors and podlings have clear expectations
on releases must contain.

> The proposal can be found in the draft board report. [1]
>
> Thanks,
> Justin
>
> 1. https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/INCUBATOR/June2019

Craig L Russell