From Myrle Krantz <my...@apache.org>
Subject Re: LGPL dependency
Date Fri, 14 Jun 2019 09:39:44 GMT
I feel like the answers provided here up till now are too simple.  I
believe we have projects at Apache which seem to be using, or have used
Webkit: (
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/COUCHDB-232?jql=text%20~%20%22webkit%22
)
* Flex
* Myfaces
* Shindig (?)
* Cordova
* Wave
* Corinthia
* Netbeans
* Apollo

I'm not completely confident of that list, since some of these projects may
be running *in* webkit-based browsers.  It's hard to determine for certain
while skimming Jira issues in projects I'm not involved in. : o)  So please
don't treat this list as authoritative.  But if I'm reading that correctly,
there are already several Apache TLP projects which use Webkit.

So this question may have been seen before.  Justin, one of the projects
which seems to currently be using Webkit is Flex.  Given the weird
part-by-part licensing, how did Flex justify it's decision?  Or am I
misreading, and Webkit is just an environment for Flex?

My hope (probably too naive) is that if Weex is using only the part of
Webkit that can be accessed via BSD-licensed headers, that that is enough
to say they are using only a BSD-licensed run-time dependency.

But if it's all open source, one possibility is to build a Webkit binary
without the LGPL parts.  I haven't looked at how nice their build process
is.  Building webkit without certain parts might be hard.  YorkShen's
suggestion to replace Webkit might be easier.

Your thoughts?

Best Regards,
Myrle