From Adrian Cole <adrian.f.c...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: late learnings, which could be helpful for all mentors to know
Date Wed, 05 Jun 2019 08:40:31 GMT
> If the mentors on the project list have voted +1, then the vote can be continued in parallel?
Shouldn't this help reduce both the time votes take but not waste the limited IPMC bandwidth?

That's exactly what we tried and were given grief about. We waited
until 3 binding +1 votes, which is for practical purposes all of our
active mentors

https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/0b52a3437370937c98724f5478002fe65b68717f30387595be4cd18e@%3Cgeneral.incubator.apache.org%3E

I think the 100% perfect release standard is debated on other topics,
and seems to be a split where many say you have to fix things by
graduation, and others think you have to fix all things by next
release. The 100% goal is really counterproductive and causes a lot of
unnecessary stress, and frankly anger. This toxic situation of not
being able to succeed because rules aren't knowable, yet expected as
100% makes it hard to be friendly and nice.

> Instead of having to actually DO releases, at least Release Candidates should be created
... this would prove the general ability to do a release, but not actually DO it. Of course
if these RCs contain bad things, they should not pass.

I suspect in some cases there are repos that maybe never have a
release. In zipkin we felt like we had to do all work and it was a bad
taste to see all this high friction efforts then projects go for
graduation with dozens of repos.. probably some not even looked at.
Whatever it is, I think it should become fair at some point.