From Greg Stein <gst...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: overzealous bureaucracy (was: [VOTE] Zipkin leave incubator, return back to OpenZipkin)
Date Wed, 19 Jun 2019 11:13:59 GMT
On Wed, Jun 19, 2019 at 4:14 AM Bertrand Delacretaz <
bdelacretaz@codeconsult.ch> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Jun 19, 2019 at 8:13 AM Greg Stein <gstein@gmail.com> wrote:
> > ...Let's talk about the overzealous bureaucracy of the IPMC...
>
> IMO something that can help fix that is declaring that the IPMC's goal
> is to *provide services to podlings so they can become top-level ASF
> Projects".
>
> Currently, many things in the Incubator make it appear more like a
> *stern gatekeeper for entry to the ASF" - like this overzealous
> bureaucracy that you mention and that is often perceptible.
>
> The difference is subtle but it can influence the IPMC's culture.

Thank you, Bertrand! ... as always, you have a knack for looking at culture.

My commentary is usually rather ham-handed, but yes: what you describe is
where I'd like to see the Incubator head. Stop the gatekeeping/rules, and
focus on help/mentor/service.

Thanks,
-g