From Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>
Subject Re: Incubation Pain Points
Date Mon, 17 Jun 2019 15:36:16 GMT
On Mon, Jun 17, 2019 at 1:24 AM Christofer Dutz
<christofer.dutz@c-ware.de> wrote:

> Hi Geertjan,
>
> not quite sure how to read this ... what are you referring to as "new culture".
> The existing project coming to the ASF? And this project should adopt the tradition of
the ASF.
> Or that the ASF should adopt the culture and tradition of the project joining?
> (Probably then meant more as: Allowing them to continue than the ASF to change)
>
> I think projects coming to the ASF have to be educated prior to entering incubation that
> there will almost always be things we are expecting them to change when they come to
Apache
> and that there's no discussion on if they have to follow them.

This! Also, I think we should stop being so uptight about communities
trying incubation
and deciding that ASF is not for them. It is a two-ways street when it
comes to education.

> We have to make them understand that the ASF is more than a GIT repo, CI Server and Mailing
lists.
> That the ASF has great things to provide (Legal Shield, Marketing, Infra, ...) but that
this only works
> If you play along with some rules we have. Also should we explain WHY these rules are
there.

> I would say it's sort of like emigrating to another country: You probably move for some
reasons.
> But also probably the rules are a little different at the country you are moving. There
will be things
> You will be allowed to do the same way you always did it, but there will be things expected
of you
> to simply follow and not ignore, because you think otherwise.

And sometimes you'd return back to your old place after all -- and
that's totally OK.

Thanks,
Roman.