incubator-general mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>
Subject Re: Podlings, the Incubator, relationships and Apache
Date Mon, 24 Jun 2019 16:12:11 GMT
On Sun, Jun 23, 2019 at 11:03 PM Alex Harui <aharui@adobe.com.invalid> wrote:
>
> But, IMO, the reason the question went to VP Legal is that it doesn't really matter what
the IPMC thinks if their "business decision" will have an impact on the "Legal Shield" and
the insurance premiums that go with it.  So I think the question got lost on legal-discuss.
 The "space of options" should probably be constrained by the "Legal Shield".

Nope. That's not how any of the legal works. Legal never makes policy
-- legal always evaluates risk profiles of the policy that business
stakeholders make.

In fact, and thin may come as a shock, legal never *blocks* anything.
Legal doesn't have veto power simply because the business decision
always trupms legal.

You *may* get sued is a statement that is always true -- regardless of
what you do.

> What kinds of policy violations truly affect the legal shield if the non-compliance:

You're asking the wrong question. You're still asking the TLP question.

> 1) is actually released
> 2) released but noted in RELEASE_NOTES or DISCLAIMER
> 3) released but not corrected in the next release
>
> Ted, Roy, Hen, seem to say that only "no rights to distribute" and "CatX" should not
be released by TLPs but "CatX" should be ok for podlings.  My takeaway from Roman is that
all policy non-compliance issues are release breakers and Incubator should either be granted
special status or not.  But I'd like to see the first question be answered so we can understand
how special the Incubator status would have to be.  How different would it be from TLP releases
and what risks to the foundation would that pose and could a DISCLAIMER or other means mitigate
that risk?  Without knowing how the Legal Shield works, it is hard to know what the options
truly are.
>
> HTH,
> -Alex
>
> ´╗┐On 6/23/19, 10:43 PM, "Davor Bonaci" <davor@apache.org> wrote:
>
>     On Sun, Jun 23, 2019 at 10:04 PM Greg Stein <gstein@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>     > I disagree. I see a number of people who think that podling releases are
>     > TLP-level releases from the Incubator itself. I see people wanting
>     > structure/policy/rules to ensure these TLP releases are done properly. And
>     > that some want to "fix a few things" to make it easier for podlings to make
>     > these releases.
>     >
>
>     Perhaps you are right, but it is not necessary to debate it. (The
>     'disagreement' is about what other people think; we can let them speak up
>     and/or measure consensus or lack thereof in the usual ways.)
>
>     The balls rolls forward by understanding the space of options, and then
>     discussing it. (... the first part of which is happening on other threads.)
>
>

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: general-unsubscribe@incubator.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: general-help@incubator.apache.org


Mime
View raw message