From Jim Jagielski <...@jaguNET.com>
Subject Re: Podlings, the Incubator, relationships and Apache
Date Thu, 27 Jun 2019 14:14:47 GMT

> On Jun 25, 2019, at 9:49 PM, Alex Harui <aharui@adobe.com.INVALID> wrote:
>

> ´╗┐On 6/24/19, 9:12 AM, "Roman Shaposhnik" <roman@shaposhnik.org> wrote:
>
>> What kinds of policy violations truly affect the legal shield if the non-compliance:
>
>    You're asking the wrong question. You're still asking the TLP question.
>
> I'm asking the TLP question to understand how big the difference is between TLP and Podlings.

Please note that the only legal structure in this discussion is a PMC. The Bylaws have no
concept of a podling nor a "top level project", although we tend to use the terms TLP and
PMC interchangeably.

Now a podling is NOT a PMC because, again, the bylaws are clear on what constitutes a PMC
and how one is created.

The Incubator itself is a PMC.

Now let's talk about podling releases... When the IPMC votes on accepting a podling release,
and it passes, my opinion is that the Incubator takes on the resultant legal obligations associated
w/ any PMC doing a release. Now the podling releases themselves are noted and described as
"not GA" and "not official", et.al. but this is, again IMO, simply to make it clear to anyone
who is downloading and using the software that the expectations normally associated with "regular"
Apache releases do not apply, such that there could be some licensing issues, etc, that would
be verboten in "official" releases, but may exist here. In other words: this is a podling
release; expect issues and mistakes and churn.

The IPMC vote is not, and should not be, some sort of secondary QA test, some sort of verification
of validity: it exists, IMO, simply so that the podling (and its contributors) can enjoy the
legal protection under the Incubator "umbrella" when they do a release.

Cheers!