From Julian Hyde <jhyde.apa...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [IMPORTANT] Board proposal on podling releases
Date Sat, 08 Jun 2019 16:30:44 GMT
We’re trying to nail down the definition of “serious”.  May I suggest that we divide
the guidelines into MAY, SHOULD and MUST. Anything with MUST is mandatory for all podling
releases.

The list may or may not be the same as for TLP releases.

Julian

Sent from my iPad
> On Jun 7, 2019, at 5:56 PM, Justin Mclean <justin@classsoftware.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
>> 1) Is it legal to include GPL licensed software in releases?  The
>> answer is yes... as long as we comply with the terms of that license.
>> In the case of strong copyleft licenses, that could mean that the
>> podling release itself may need also be GPL licensed.
>
> And in cases where this has happened, it’s been ALv2 licensed, so I guess that wouldn’t
be legal. But we also allow minor stuff like this a lot of the time e.g forgetting to add
 MIT license text to LICENSE.

>> 2) Is it legal to include compiled code in releases?  Yes.
>
> But certainly against ASF policy and one of it core values.
>
>> 3) Is it legal to include copyright violations in releases?  No.
>
> In most cases, where this has occurred this has been minor, like including a cat photo,
and can be easily sorted by removing or asking for permission. If someone did come along as
say you don’t have permission to do that, we’d say we were very sorry and fix it.

> Perhaps rewording the proposal to say "serious issue typically found in podling releases”
would help? Podlings generally make some effort to try and get things right.