From Justin Mclean <justinmcl...@me.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Apache OpenWhisk graduation to Top Level Project
Date Sun, 16 Jun 2019 22:38:42 GMT
Hi,

> There's a bit of discussion that can happen (and sometimes does) on
> the issue trackers which provide a bit more interactive yet
> asynchronous method of communication. The Slack activity is almost
> comparable to general chit chat at ApacheCon hackathons or similar.

That may be so but I’m seeing stuff like this. Email on upcoming release [1] points to GitHub
[2] points to Slack [3]

In order to view [3] you need to create an account and log into slack. Now I don’t think
this is a graduation issue, but the PMC might want to consider how they bring information
back from slack rather than link to it. I assume at some point the information behind that
link would be lost (free tier right?).

I’ll note the slack page also says "If you have an @us.ibm.com, @uk.ibm.com, @adobe.com,
@de.ibm.com, @il.ibm.com, or @apache.org email address, you can create an account.” what
if you don’t have one of those accounts? While a committer will have an apache account,
a contributor is not likely to have any of those. (They could find this [4] and sign up).
Seems like a barrier to entry I think.

Thanks,
Justin

1. https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/ddf47c05e72426a47f0a414e1dd68cc6075fa4a60be1753318ebfe58@%3Cdev.openwhisk.apache.org%3E