From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Incubation Pain Points
Date Thu, 13 Jun 2019 19:10:13 GMT
Hi -

Here are some thoughts I have to improving Incubation. These are not really new, but I think
we should discuss where and how best to apply these.

(1) Champions need to very clear that the ASF expects Community decisions not BDFLs. Burnout
is one factor to highlight why community is important. Vendor independence is important and
part of why BDFLs don’t fly. In the last few years we have deemphasized the role of Champion
and I think we need to list out some of the duties a Champion has to both the prospective
podling community and the Incubator.

(2) We should help existing communities plan their entry into Incubation with their proposals.
Currently TVM is moving their community over before repositories. That might be a better approach
for many communities as it will assure that (a) the existing community keeps its current velocity
and (b) they are making community decisions on list before actual development is moved over.

(3) Having a lower impedance to release and code changes would really help. We are already
having this discussion. A very radical idea might be to move a lot of the License, Notice
and Dependency work away from the Release Vote and instead do periodic and potentially automated
audits of repositories. This would follow the REVIEW suggestion, but make it more automated
and based on tooling.

(4) Relinquishing control of admin rights on GitHub repos is an impedance. I understand why
this is done from an Apache Infrastructure perspective, but it is a surprise to podling communities.
Making sure that a new podling knows fully what to expect before transferring repos would
really help manage expectations.

(5) Failure to incubate is not failure. Currently 63 podlings have retired and there are two
or three additional retirements soon. 4 or 5 podlings moved on or back to where they were.
The why of retirement could be analyzed, but it would need to look into mailing list archives
because the information in podlings.xml is not always clear and is sometimes more diplomatic
than the reality.

See https://projects.apache.org for an intriguing chart.

Regards,
Dave