From Alex Harui <aha...@adobe.com.INVALID>
Subject Re: Podlings, the Incubator, relationships and Apache
Date Fri, 28 Jun 2019 04:46:07 GMT
While you've been going through the history and other docs:  Does it actually say somewhere
that a true ASF release MUST NOT contain any non-compliance of policy?  Or is it possible
that the communities must fix some non-compliance issues right away and can fix others later?
 Then it isn't about relaxing policy or exceptions to policy, it is just acceptance that not
all policy non-compliance issues are "must fix now".

Sebb just reported that something like 3 TLPs have releases that are not compliant with the
NOTICE file policy.  I don't think the legal shield has been damaged nor will the board shut
down those projects.  I imagine they will simply take note and fix it in their next release.
 They may not even have to drop everything there are currently working on and push out a release
with the fix.

Again, the restaurant food handling codes allow the restaurant owners to fix some non-compliance
issues over time.

HTH,
-Alex

On 6/27/19, 4:58 PM, "Justin Mclean" <justin@classsoftware.com> wrote:

    Hi,

    > The Incubator itself is a PMC.

    OK that's sorted.

    > Now let's talk about podling releases... When the IPMC votes on accepting a podling
release, and it passes, my opinion is that the Incubator takes on the resultant legal obligations
associated w/ any PMC doing a release. Now the podling releases themselves are noted and described
as "not GA" and "not official", et.al. but this is, again IMO, simply to make it clear to
anyone who is downloading and using the software that the expectations normally associated
with "regular" Apache releases do not apply, such that there could be some licensing issues,
etc, that would be verboten in "official" releases, but may exist here. In other words: this
is a podling release; expect issues and mistakes and churn.

    Except it's not, as it seems the IPMC doesn’t need to abide by what other PMCs need
to abide by when making releases :-) (Which is ironic given the IPMC is tasked with teaching
and passing that knowledge on.) And that policy exception is not documented anywhere. :-)
Nor has the board, to my knowledge, approved such an exception. Yay! So how is a voted on
PMC release, an act which make it official, is not an official release? Do you see how this
might be confusing or open to a board range of interpretations?

    Thanks,
    Justin