From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Apache OpenWhisk graduation to Top Level Project
Date Mon, 10 Jun 2019 21:13:59 GMT
Hi -

The ASF expects that PMCs will watch out for their project and product brands. The VP, Brand
and their committee are available to help with advice and also trademark registrations via
the trademarks@apache.org mailing list.

My only concern with the README.md files in some Github project is whether that should acknowledge
the Apache OpenWhisk trademarks. The policy discusses websites, and that policy ought to apply
to GitHub README files.

Regarding the name of a repos the guidance is that the PPMC has to decide if the name would
cause confusion about the source of OpenWhisk software.

A PMC would typical get notice from the VP, Brand if someone was offering a Foo OpenWhisk
instead of Foo’s Bar Powered by Apache OpenWhisk. Given that OpenWhisk is an ecosystem where
third parties will add functionality it is likely that the PPMC will need to provide some
guidance to others. Please reach out to trademarks@ with any questions.

Regards,
Dave

> On Jun 10, 2019, at 11:40 AM, Matt Rutkowski <mrutkowski@apache.org> wrote:
>
> For my part (and OBO IBM), have gone out of my way to transfer worldwide trademarks (and
domain names, including openwhisk,org) to the ASF working with our IP and legal teams and
caused a complete product rename as we entered Incubation.  There is no intentional use of
OpenWhisk, any that appears is legacy and if IBM control I promise to do my utmost to fix
and resolve.  In some cases, and IMO it is desirable to acknowledge and credit Apache OpenWhisk
as both the basis for the Serverless platform, as well as providing the programming model
(components) used in development and deployment.

> Again, there is nothing IBM is trying to do intentionally to give the appearance of owning
the name OpenWhisk.  As mentioned, I have begun acting on the GitHub project listed where
I know the owners (and trying to locate the others, but snce github names do not map to real
names this requires some work).

> -Matt
>
> On 2019/06/09 13:37:47, Justin Mclean <justin@classsoftware.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>>> I conclude that all are left over from before the project entered the Apache
Incubator and the period of transition that followed.

>> I though that was the case bur was just checking. But beauty IBM need to be respectful
of the trademark and the (P)PMC make sure they do that.

>>> The github projects in the IBM organization appear to not be maintained actively
>>
>> This is a potential trademark issue IMO and I suggest you discuss it with trademarks
what to do here, previous experience there are usually renamed or removed.