From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Re: Podling releases and release policy
Date Tue, 04 Jun 2019 09:05:09 GMT
Hi,

>> That is demonstrably not true, as (historically) the Incubator has made
>> releases with GPL'd code in them (eg. Hibernate).
>
> I don’t understand the choice of words :(

That’s because while it was a software a release is was not an Apache releases. The word
release has several different meaning here.

 I’ve also seen a number of podlings do this and it's not a big deal. It’s usually only
allowed for a one (perhaps 2) non-Apache releases however, although I think a few podling
made more than that, one made about 200 releases before it was pointed out that perhaps they
needed to make an Apache one.

And where we’re we, come people have ben saying podling releasee, they are actually IPMC
releases and it’s the IPMC that can vote and make official Apache releases. Hopefully those
3 +1 votes come from the mentors, but often teh wider IPMC is needed.

Thanks,
Justin