From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Re: [IMPORTANT] Board proposal on podling releases
Date Sat, 08 Jun 2019 00:56:48 GMT
Hi,

> 1) Is it legal to include GPL licensed software in releases?  The
> answer is yes... as long as we comply with the terms of that license.
> In the case of strong copyleft licenses, that could mean that the
> podling release itself may need also be GPL licensed.

And in cases where this has happened, it’s been ALv2 licensed, so I guess that wouldn’t
be legal. But we also allow minor stuff like this a lot of the time e.g forgetting to add
 MIT license text to LICENSE.

> 2) Is it legal to include compiled code in releases?  Yes.

But certainly against ASF policy and one of it core values.

> 3) Is it legal to include copyright violations in releases?  No.

In most cases, where this has occurred this has been minor, like including a cat photo, and
can be easily sorted by removing or asking for permission. If someone did come along as say
you don’t have permission to do that, we’d say we were very sorry and fix it.

Perhaps rewording the proposal to say "serious issue typically found in podling releases”
would help? Podlings generally make some effort to try and get things right.

Thanks,
Justin