From Justin Mclean <jus...@classsoftware.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Apache Tuweni 0.8.0
Date Wed, 26 Jun 2019 15:46:28 GMT
Hi,

> It may not be clear to you, but it was discussed in the earlier vote thread. See https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/2b5fed22493e954937405cfd2553d06c00e5bee3b76be06b18b74862@%3Cdev.tuweni.apache.org%3E
for my noticing the jar still being present.

Noting its present and clearly indicating what the podlings future responsibility is in regards
to this are perhaps seperate things. This is not a minor issue. I hope the podling realises
this is the first time that a IPMC release with compiled code of this magnitude has been approved.
A recent thread on legal would suggest that this should not be allowed due to licensing issues
(even if we allow jars in source releases), and the thread on infra makes this the IPMC responsibility.
I’ll leave it up the the PPMC and the mentors to consider the implications of that. In all
previous IPMC votes that would of resulted in one or more -1 votes being cast and the podling
asked to make another release candidate, especially considering that this was a issue that
has occurred in a previous release candidate. Apache makes open source software, having a
release with compiled code it it is not open source software and is against one of the core
values of what we do.

Thanks,
Justin