From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Podling status Copyright section
Date Wed, 15 May 2019 08:28:31 GMT
On Wed, 15 May 2019 at 06:55, Alex Harui <aharui@adobe.com.invalid> wrote:

> I do not like the words "transfer rights".  It could be interpreted as transfer of copyright.
 Copyright of existing code is not transferred to the ASF, AIUI.  How about "Check to make
sure that an SGA or CCLA has been received."

> I don't like hypotheticals, but I can imagine some individual starting a project on GitHub,
has only a few files already under ALv2, and gets a project going at the ASF?  Wouldn't we
accept those few files under his ICLA and not require an SGA or CCLA?

> I'd suggest dropping the second sentence ("it is necessary to transfer rights...").
AIUI, it is only necessary to grant a perpetual license to the ASF.

Also, the CCLA is not required, and is not an alternative to the SGA
-- as may perhaps be inferred by some from the phrase "(SGA or CCLA)"

https://www.apache.org/licenses/cla-faq.html#cclas-not-required

> I like your third sentence.
>
> HTH,
> -Alex
>
> ´╗┐On 5/13/19, 5:28 PM, "Craig Russell" <apache.clr@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>     The Copyright section of the podling status page says "Check and make sure that the
papers that transfer rights to the ASF been received. It is only necessary to transfer rights
for the package, the core code, and any new code produced by the project.".

>     I'd propose a change:
>
>     "Check to make sure that the papers that transfer rights to the ASF been received
(SGA or CCLA). It is necessary to transfer rights for any existing package and core code.
Any new code produced by the project must be covered by ICLA."

>     This change is proposed because it might not be obvious to everyone what "the papers
that transfer rights" are. And new code produced must be committed by a person who has filed
an ICLA.