From Craig Russell <apache....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How do I go about podling I.P. clearance for the initial codebase?
Date Tue, 14 May 2019 00:00:30 GMT
Hi Kenn,

What Dave said. And...

The copyright license (part of SGA or CCLA) needs to be verified before the copyright notices
in each file are changed to Apache headers. This is described (hopefully well enough) in the
incubating status https://incubator.apache.org/projects/datasketches.html under the Copyright
section: "Check and make sure that the papers that transfer rights to the ASF been received.
It is only necessary to transfer rights for the package, the core code, and any new code produced
by the project."

This is where you could put the date/time that the Secretary acknowledged receipt of the SGA
or CCLA. If multiple documents cover parts of the code, all of them can be listed here.

Usually (but not always) Secretary knows enough from context that a document is of interest
to a podling. "Not always" is the reason that it is always good to cc: private@podling when
submitting documents.

Craig

> On May 13, 2019, at 3:47 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:
>

>> On May 13, 2019, at 2:23 PM, Kenneth Knowles <kenn@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> Thanks for the detailed steps.
>>
>> (2) SGAs are typically needed when the project code is donated by a
>>> company, these go to secretary@. A CCLA might substitute for that, but
>>> that is up to legal-discuss@apache. Once the IP is cleared then Infra
>>> will work with the PPMC to transfer repositories to the Apache repositories
>>> on GitBox and GitHub.
>>>

>> We are at this point. When an SGA is filed, is the secretary's
>> acknowledgment of receipt all that is needed?
>
> It is usually sufficient to provide a link to the email from the secretary that acknowledges
the SGA in the JIRA issue.

> As a mentor I do like to validate that the SGA was recorded in the foundation svn available
to Members and can confirm that Datasketches SGA for repositories and the logo have been recorded.