From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Apache Tuweni (incubating) 0.7.0
Date Fri, 31 May 2019 19:37:09 GMT
Apologies for the delay.

-1 (binding)

Policy violations:
The missing DISCLAIMER in the source release is a blocker.
Please move https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tuweni to https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/incubator/tuweni
for the next candidate.

I checked the signatures and checksums.
I checked LICENSE and NOTICE. There can be some improvements for the binary packages, but
these are not blockers on a first release.
The tgz and zip versions diffs match.

README.md should be directed towards building and not to advertising nightly snapshots and
referencing project build infrastructure. CI builds are not what projects produce. Releases
are what projects produce. CI builds are for the project developer community and not the project
user community.

My ./gradlew build fails in the javadoc with
tuweni-src-0.7.0/progpow/src/main/java/org/apache/tuweni/progpow/ProgPoW.java:29: error: unknown
tag: implSpe
* @implSpec https://github.com/ifdefelse/ProgPOW
  ^

RAT Check is pretty good once the eth-reference tests are excluded.

The two archives in the source release make sense as exceptions. A rewritten README.md would
explain the gradle wrapper.

The file licenses/license-dependency.xml is very helpful. How is it generated?

Since Tuweni includes Crypto code the podling will need to file export controls with the release
[1]

HTH,
Dave

[1] https://www.apache.org/dev/crypto.html