From Huxing Zhang <hux...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE]: Release Apache Dubbo Admin(Incubating) 0.2.0 [RC3]
Date Mon, 22 Apr 2019 01:55:24 GMT
Hi,

On Mon, Apr 22, 2019 at 8:18 AM Justin Mclean <justin@classsoftware.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > I am thinking why spring-boot-starter-data-jpa depends on LGPL
> > licensed library "hibernate-core", and can still be Apache 2.0
> > licensed.
>
> That may be the case for a non ASF project, but it is ASF policy to not depends on GPL
code. [1][2]

I understand it is ASF policy to not depend on GPL code. In [1] it
clears states:

We avoid GPLv3 software because merely linking to it is considered by
the GPLv3 authors to create a derivative work

However, LGPL software does not fit into this case, because in [2]
section 5, it says linking to a LGPL software is not considered to
create a derivative work.

Basically I am trying to figure out, why in ASF policy, linking to
LGPL code is not allowed. I just want to discuss this issue
technically. No other meanings.

> In short "The Apache Software Foundation does not allow its own projects to distribute
software under licenses more restrictive than the Apache License,"

IMO, if what state in [2], section 5, is the case, the source code of
incubator-dubbo-admin, could still be distributed with Apache License.

Maybe I am missing something here, I'd be appreciated if someone could
point it out.

[1]  https://www.apache.org/licenses/GPL-compatibility.html
[2]  https://opensource.org/licenses/LGPL-2.1

> Thanks,