From Craig Russell <apache....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Responsibilities and Improvements (was: Re: Whimsy general@ subs check (was: .... introduce "[DISCUSS]" threads for podling ... release candidates))
Date Mon, 04 Mar 2019 03:48:07 GMT
Hi Greg,

> On Mar 3, 2019, at 6:15 PM, Greg Stein <gstein@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Acts of the Foundation require specific oversight of the IPMC. To establish
> that "act", we have the (3) +1 vote rule of IPMC members. The IPMC cannot
> delegate this power further, as each IPMC member is specifically empowered
> by the Board. So PPMC members cannot act for the Foundation since they
> haven't been empowered by the Board.
>
> Again, the above is premised on *needing* that particular empowerment. If
> podling releases are no longer required to be official, then quite a bit
> can be changed.

I believe that this would be a disaster. I choose this word carefully.

In your proposal, would podlings' bad releases use the official Apache distribution mechanisms?
dist.apache.org, signatures, checksums and the mirror systems and KEYS and such?

If so, then we need to modify Apache policy since forever, that in order to be An Act Of The
Foundation, a board-delegated authority (currently the IPMC) must vote and approve the release.

If not, then we are teaching podlings nothing about official Apache Releases.

Craig

Craig L Russell
Secretary, Apache Software Foundation
clr@apache.org <mailto:clr@apache.org> http://db.apache.org/jdo <http://db.apache.org/jdo>