From Craig Russell <apache....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Graduate Apache SkyWalking (incubating) as a TLP(take2)
Date Mon, 04 Mar 2019 20:41:55 GMT

> On Mar 4, 2019, at 3:12 AM, Mick Semb Wever <mck@apache.org> wrote:
>> The cookies in the moderator mails expire after a few days.
>
> This example was all done today. Numerous attempts have been made.
>> It also means that the person is aware that the private@ list is
>> something they need to follow.

As noted else-thread, there is an alternate method to subscribing to the email lists, by sending
email to private-subscribe-EMAIL.ADDRESS=DOMAIN.COM@skywalking.apache.org

> Not getting any response at all is not an indication of whether the list exist of not,
unfortunately.

> Anyway… to the thread's discussion: every PPMC received an invitation (per Apache template)
; I interpret it as they SHOULD be subscribed rather than MUST, and I'm curious as to whether
how many of the TLPs are actually enforcing this among their pmc, if any. It's an interesting
discussion… but I'm not entirely convinced it's an accurate shortcoming to whether the podling
is ready for graduation or not.

I think the question is not "Is SkyWalking ready to graduate" but "Is the proposed PMC list
accurate".

The PMC members are responsible for governing the TLP and as such need to be familiar with
what is expected of them. Governance activities are conducted on the PPMC private list. If
a PPMC member has not participated in any governance activities during incubation, it's unclear
that they belong on the PMC.

Reviewing the last several months of private@skywalking list, most of the discussion of new
committers has had only four or five participants, who are clearly involved in governance
of the project.

Regards,

Craig