From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Graduate Apache SkyWalking (incubating) as a TLP(take2)
Date Mon, 04 Mar 2019 10:54:25 GMT
On Mon, 4 Mar 2019 at 10:43, Mick Semb Wever <mck@apache.org> wrote:

> > Whimsy currently shows 6 PPMC members who are not subscribed.
>

> Digging into this moreā€¦
>
> It looks there's also been troubles subscribing from China, or more accurate receiving
the confirm subscription emails from apache to chinese inboxes. (And it wouldn't surprise
me if after creating a new mail accounts and getting things to work, folk would be forgetting
then about private@skywalking )

> There's some oddity like Yao Wang who is subscribed to dev ML but is not getting the
confirm email using the same email address for the private ML.

> For example:
> ```
> Hi. This is the qmail-send program at apache.org.
> I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.
>
> <private-tc.1551689265.dkffilnheganngfmokmf-allen.wang.123=outlook.com@skywalking.apache.org>:
> ezmlm-manage: fatal: Illegal or outdated moderator request (#5.7.1)
> ```

The cookies in the moderator mails expire after a few days.

> Indeed if I look through my inbox I see some of those missing from the private ML having
matching "CONFIRM subscribe to private@skywalking.apache.org" emails. But they say they did
not get those emails.

> Folk are also just using the list.apache.org website, which is of no surprise considering
the above errors. We'll continue with this, as the Chinese communities will need to have this
sorted out, but we do believe that all have attempted to subscribe.

> Is there a reason that people with @apache.org addresses have to manually subscribe to
these lists, if it's so mandatory?

> I would have thought this is something that should just then be automatic, and then in
this situation it's just the problem of ensuring the @apache.org address is successfully forwarding
emails.

People may wish to subscribe using a different email from the one to
which their ASF email is forwarded.

Subscription by the PPMC member achieves both the above:
- choice of email address
- validation that the address can get emails

It also means that the person is aware that the private@ list is
something they need to follow.