From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Graduate Apache SkyWalking (incubating) as a TLP (take2)
Date Sun, 03 Mar 2019 14:04:11 GMT
On Sun, 3 Mar 2019 at 12:08, Mick Semb Wever <mck@apache.org> wrote:

> Apache SkyWalking entered incubation in December of 2017. The SkyWalking community has
learnt a lot about how to do things in The Apache Way.

> The first time graduation was raised for discussion, five months ago, the IPMC thought
SkyWalking was not yet ready because of issues around "Community growth and in particular
how merit is recognised".

> That pushback has been helpful, the community has become a more open and engaged community.
>
> SkyWalking is making more consensus decisions via the ML, including discussions and decisions
on issue, test, release, new committer and branding issues. Since the last graduation discussion,
the community has voted in 9 new committers, 3 of them also as PPMC members.

> SkyWalking has also helped Zipkin with podling learnings. And having a Zipkin mentor
involved in the recent discussions about the role and mechanisms of the IPMC and the board,
and any possible improvements that could be made to the Incubator, it's witnessed and had
a positive experience on the importance of being involved in the broader Apache community.

> After discussion in the podling's community on the dev ML
> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/9aab116a5df46d10a655bbf243f525260bad7763f6f65bce19ec33bd@%3Cdev.skywalking.apache.org%3E
>
> …and no objections, I'm raising the thread here for further discussion.
>
> Some stats and the proposed resolution is below, but let us know if there's any other
information we can provide to re-assure that the podling is ready for graduation.

> A few stats to help with the discussion:
>
> SkyWalking has delivered 8 releases so far in total, and appears now to have a good cadence
of successful releases.

> During the podling's time in the Apache Incubator there has been
>  3200+ commits on development of the project,
>   378 Issues tagged as question in GitHub created, 373 resolved,
>   850+ Pull request created and resolved, and
>    97 different contributors.
>
> The dev ML has had 72 participants.
>  https://lists.apache.org/trends.html?dev@skywalking.apache.org:2019
>
> Also please check out Apache Maturity Model Assessment for SkyWalking
>   https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SKYWALKING/Apache+Maturity+Model+Assessment+for+SkyWalking
>

> regards,
> Mick Semb Wever (SkyWalking mentor)
>
> ======
>

> Establish the Apache SkyWalking Project
>
> WHEREAS, the Board of Directors deems it to be in the best interests of
> the Foundation and consistent with the Foundation's purpose to establish
> a Project Management Committee charged with the creation and maintenance
> of open-source software, for distribution at no charge to the public,
> related to application performance monitoring: especially for
> microservice, Cloud Native and container-based architecture systems;
> also known as a distributed tracing system. .

Seems to me this is a bit too specific (and long) - can the example
target systems be left out?

e.g. it could perhaps be rephrased as:

related to application performance monitoring (aka a distributed tracing system)