From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: SOS for infra related glitches
Date Wed, 06 Mar 2019 14:51:19 GMT
On Wed, 6 Mar 2019 at 14:15, Adrian Cole <adrian.f.cole@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, all.
>
> Problems getting subscribed to mailing lists can be crippling. For
> example, we have someone stuck in workflow steps where they are
> supposed to formally reply to a private@ invitation to join the PPMC.
> We've had several people with and without moderator access try to
> help. It is really disruptive to things like becoming a committer to
> be stuck in pergatory for days.. hoping the next is when you can
> actually reply.
>
> Consider all the paperwork for tasks in incubator, like a new member
> being not only a circulatory conversation, but also 72hr vote, then
> 72hr notice period, then an invite.. compared to the incubator doc
> pile-on where basically anyone can edit the wiki before acceptance! It
> feels frustrating to get through the gauntlet then stuck in email
> subscription hell.
>
> Is there an SOS we can use, conservatively, like for tasks like this?
> Considering a lot of our problems have been getting people on the
> private list (we still have PPMC how have tried and failed many
> times), granting the ability to manually add people seems a reasonable
> "break glass" process to consider as well.

If the potential subscriber is not getting the subscription
confirmation email, then manual subscription is not going to achieve
much, as they presumably won't get the list mails either.

However if subscribers/moderators are having problems with the
replies, then make sure the address is copied exactly.
Also don't send HTML mail, as that may cause issues.